Samples taken from the most remote parts of the ocean by the contestants in the Volvo Ocean Race has found surprisingly high concentrations of microplastics in an area where there is virtually no human activity.
Last night after I got home from work and finished chores, I decided I just had to get the insulation back on the room of the well house. I peeled the tarp from the back to the front and put the bats of insulation back in. Then I just stapled my tarp back over it. I might have to put some new insulation in by the time we get around to putting a real roof back on it, but this will work for now. As you can see we’ve had quite a bit of snow, but I’ll talk more about that in another post.
My nephew came today and replaced the valve that I picked up earlier in the week.
Then we turned on the electricity to the well and tried the hydrant. Well, at least it’s water. I will keep running it and hauling it away until it gets clear and stays clear.
I might have made a bit of a lake (ice skating later!) when I was dumping it by the tree.
It’s also pretty dirty in the cattle tank.
That means I’m still hauling rural water for them to drink until it’s cleared up again, but I’m making progress!
I will say, this hauling water for forty-some goats and three llamas every day is making me feel really old.
What was Noelle watching out the window?
The well guys were here!
They pulled the pipes and wires and pump and replaced everything.
I felt horrible watching them work out in the cold.
When they finished, we put the board back on and stapled the tarp down again.
Then I started the heater. It took it a while to warm up. There was still snow on the floor when the air temperature half way up was at 45*F.
It takes even longer for the water lines to thaw out. It might be a couple of days before they are thawed again. We didn’t put the fuse in that powers the pump, since there’s no point in filling the tank to freeze.
Unfortunately, one of the water valves broke, but I guess you just keep working and repairing things until it’s functional again. But we’re one step closer to having things working again!
As it turns out, the well people were able to come look at it that morning. I tried getting my mom out there to put Sky in the house because I figured they really did not need his help. She waited and waited and waited. Eventually, I texted their number to her and she called. It was just a few minutes that I got a return text saying they had been there already and I should call them. That is never good.
The well had a grounded short somewhere, which is why my fuses kept blowing. The solution was to re-do the wiring and since that often damages a pump, they needed to pull and replace it too. He did say there was only one problem…the well house. They couldn’t get in there and work and pull the pump with that tight space.
I assured him it would be easy peasy because when we built the well house, seventeen years ago, after the last time they replaced the wiring/pump because it had been struck by lightning, we made it so the roof would come off.
In the meantime, I got out my sixteen gallon heated tubs and put them in the barn.
Some goats are sure I’m trying to dehydrate them because I don’t usually make drastic changes of where I water them, but this was kind of an emergency.
I had to figure out a way to water Sky too because I had no electricity in the well house, and it was turing crazy cold again.
He also ate the heated bucket I had been watering him in because, apparently it’s fun to eat when it’s full of ice.
I finally settled on putting the cord through the dryer vent and into the basement.
I also decided to turn on the electricity to the cattle tank to try to keep the water line from freezing. It has heat tape wrapped around it. That meant I also had to open the black panel on the side and unplug the heater up above because the goats had drained it.
Removing a removable roof is sometimes easier said than done, but bless my dad. He came back from Missouri, and we got the roof off. It was a bit more work than we thought it would be because all the roofing nails went through and helped nail it down, but we did it!
I covered it with a tarp, and now it’s ready to go!